Carbon Monoxide Danger Signs To Look Out For In Your Home

#1 Know where it comes from

One of the best ways to prevent a carbon monoxide leak is by paying close attention to potential sources.
There are several places in the home which can produce carbon monoxide: a chimney, a portable heater, a fireplace, a portable barbecue, a tumble dryer, a gas oven, a fridge, and a water heater. Be on the lookout for “a distinctive, sulphur-like, rotten egg smell or hissing, whistling sounds” coming from a potential appliance. Staining or discolouration around an appliance can also be an indicator of a carbon monoxide leak, as can an appliance which is burning slowly or badly.

Be on the lookout for appliances which can produce carbon monoxide
Be on the lookout for appliances which can produce carbon monoxide

 

#2 Open the Flue

If you have a wood-burning stove or fireplace, make sure to keep it clean and ensure that the flue is working properly. Even if the fire appears to be out and simply smouldering, keep the flue open to let the gases escape. This preventative measure can be extremely effective in keeping a problem from developing

#3 Damp or Excess Humidity

Checking regularly for excess humidity or damp can help you to prevent a severe leak from taking hold of your home. Heavily frosted windows and moisture on windows and walls can indicate excessive humidity.
Identifying these signs early can help stop a major leak before it becomes life-threatening.

Check regularly for excess humidity
Check regularly for excess humidity

#4 Turn off the engine

Carbon monoxide is produced when car engines are left running in a garage or other enclosed space. This is why it is so important to always turn off your car anytime it is in the garage. Harmful fumes can build up quickly so make sure your car is turned off the second you pull in, and don’t turn it on until just before you pull out.

Carbon monoxide is produced when car engines are left running in a garage
Carbon monoxide is produced when car engines are left running in a garage

 

Catching a problem early can make the difference between life and death!
Carbon monoxide itself has no smell, but other fumes caused by burning may smell.
If you detect any of these conditions, do not use/turn on the suspected appliance until it has been inspected by a Registered Gas Installer.

Home


Mould Solutions – April 2018