The Services We Offer:
What is Mould?
Mould is a fungal growth that grows in homes under the right conditions of dampness, darkness and poor ventilation. It can be referred to as black mould.
Preventative maintenance procedures in place, e.g:
Humidity can be reduced by repairing leaks or increasing ventilation
Ireland is typically wet and windy for more than 6 months of the year. This leads to problems of condensation and mould in properties.
Condensation occurs when damp air, which is full of water, makes contact with a cold surface. The ongoing resulting damp then causes damage to walls, furnishings and timbers. This is the beginning of an unhealthy environment in your property.
As time goes on, the damp conditions lead to mould growth. Mould will appear on surfaces that have been affected with the condensation. Mould can appear as different growths and and with that comes an odour which can be described as musty or damp. It is normally black and grey in colour, this is the most common mould, but it can be white, green, yellow or even pink also.
Due to the damp conditions Mould growth will start to appear on the surfaces affected with the condensation. The Mould can appear as different unsightly growths and omit an odour that is referred to as damp and musty. This growth can show up in different colours depending on the surface and chemical makeup. Black and grey or the most common but you can also expect to see yellow, pink, white and green. Mould doesn’t only look bad it is bad to your health.
There are a few things that can be done to help prevent damp and condensation but the most important thing is to keep on top of the problem, for example:
Ensure your home has adequate installation, heating and ventilation.
In areas where there will be higher amounts of water in the air like bathrooms, kitchen and utility room, paint ceiling with a fungicide coating and install extractor fans to help with the removal excess moisture.
Purchase a dehumidifier from any electrical retailer You can help control the amount of moisture in the air by moving it around the house. A dehumidifier can collect up to 10 litres of water a day from a damp house.
Avoid drying clothes in the house. If you must, then make sure that you have a dehumidifier in that room.
When heating your home avoid bottle gas heaters and paraffin as just one litre of paraffin can produce over one litre of water and this all adds to the moisture in the air.
Make sure that any new windows and doors are at least double glazed.
Remember prevention is better that cure!
WHETHER it’s some patches in the corners of the shower area or around window frames, or black tides spreading up the living room walls, lots of people notice some degree of damp and mould in their homes.
The key cause of mould is moisture. This can be moisture in the air through poor ventilation or because you’ve been drying clothes indoors, as a result of leaky windows and pipes, or because external walls are in need of repair.
Modern and clean homes aren’t immune — wherever there’s moisture, mould and damp can be an issue. Not only can it be deeply unpleasant to live with and tricky to fix, it’s also a potential health hazard.
Just a small amount of mould gives off millions of spores and can cause a reaction. Symptoms are mostly respiratory in nature and include being bunged up and congested, as well as itchy, puffy eyes, sneezing and a runny nose.
It might feel like you’ve had a cold or sinusitis that just keeps on lingering, but the key difference is that with an allergy, you won’t have had that initial ‘unwell’ phase, perhaps with a fever/high temperature, that occurs with viral infections
Allergies aside, mould can be problematic for other people, particularly those who are in vulnerable groups, like babies, the elderly or people with weakened immune systems, due to other health conditions or medication.